Chocolate chip cookies are delicious but some days you just need a slightly different type of cookie. And there are so many variations to the traditional chocolate chip cookie that are equally as good and worth discovering. I am also a huge fan of buttery shortbread cookies so this recipe Savory Simple immediately struck chord with me.
These cookies combine three of my favorite cookies into a single bite of baked deliciousness. Chocolate chips, buttery shortbread and chewy oatmeal combine for a simply yet tasty treat that is sure to be a hit and disappear in no time. Go ahead and double the recipe so you can be sure to have enough.
CHOCOLATE CHIP & OATMEAL SHORTBREAD COOKIES
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¾ cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 3-5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Turn the mixer speed down to low and add the vanilla, followed by the flour mixture and then the oatmeal.
- Once all of the ingredients are incorporated, tun the mixer to low speed ands slowly add the chocolate chips.
- Use a wooden spoon to ensure that the chocolate chips are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop, portion out the dough evenly onto the baking sheet. Using the bottom of a glass, slightly flatten the balls into discs. Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
Yields 3 dozen cookies