The picture doesn’t do these justice but oh my are they good. Fresh from the oven they just ooze warm and gooey chocolate goodness. The recipe is from Saveur Magazine and following in my Albanian tradition swapped out the pecans for walnuts since that is what is available here.
I actually made them the night before, wrapped the pan tightly with saran wrap and kept them in the refrigerator, then let them come up to room temperature before baking them in the morning. Yum!
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup, plus 1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup milk
9 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened plus more for greasing
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups flour, plus more for dusting
3/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups Nutella
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1) Combine yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 cup warm water in a bowl until foamy, about 10 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, bring milk to a simmer in a 1 quart saucepan over medium heat; set aside. Stir in
remaining sugar, 4 tablespoons butter, and salt and stir into yeast mixture with vanilla, 2 eggs, and
flour just until combined.
3) Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes. Place in a
greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let sit until the dough doubles in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
4) Heat oven to 375 degrees. Melt the remaining butter in a 1 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add
brown sugar, stir until smooth, and pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish; sprinkle with the pecans.
5) Transfer the dough to a floured surface and roll dough into a 15 x 20 inch rectangle. Spread the
Nutella evenly over the dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border on one long side.
6) Beat remaining egg in a bowl and brush onto the clean border of the dough. Roll the dough into a
log towards the end brushed with the egg. Trim ends and cut log into 30 minutes. Transfer rounds
cut side up to the baking dish, sprinkle with cinnamon and bake until golden, about 30 minutes.
7) Let cool slightly before serving. Serve inverted onto plates and drizzle with syrup and nuts from the
bottom of the baking dish.
Tagged: chocolate, hazelnut, Nutella, walnuts