Real American style breakfast sausages are impossible to find here in Albania. On occasion I’ve been able to find something labeled as such but inevitably, we have been disappointed. If the texture is correct they lack the traditional flavors I associate with breakfast sausages or more often than not, they are closer in texture and flavor to an Italian salami than breakfast sausage. The solution? I broke out my trusty meat grinder and made my own. You can buy pre-ground pork but I prefer grinding my own meat since it is really easy and I can control the fat content in the end product. I made these from start to finish in the morning before breakfast but you can just as easily do all the preparation work the night before so you only have to fry them up in the morning.
BREAKFAST SAUSAGE PATTIES
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds ground pork
2 1/2 Teaspoons salt
1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 Teaspoon toasted fennel seeds, crushed
2 Teaspoons dried sage
1/2 Teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1/2 Teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 Teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Heat oil in a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl using your hands to ensure that the spices are well blended.
- Divide the meat into 12 even portions and form into patties about 1 inch thick.
- Working in two batches, cook patties, flipping once, until brown and cooked through, 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towels to drain before serving.