2 bone-in chicken drumsticks
2 bone-in chicken thighs
1 Teaspoon, divided
1 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped shallots
2 Tablespoons chopped garlic
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 cup Chianti or other rich red wine
1 cup unsalted chicken stock
1 Teaspoon sugar
1 (14.5-ounce) can unsalted whole tomatoes, crushed and undrained
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Make 1 (1/2-inch-deep) cut in each chicken piece; sprinkle evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour. Add chicken to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add shallots, garlic, and rosemary to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add wine to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, chicken stock, sugar, tomatoes, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil and boil for several minutes until the amount of liquid is reduced.
- Return chicken to pan. Reduce heat to medium; cook, partially covered, 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.