It had been awhile since I had seen fresh strawberries in the local fruit market. Strawberries are an early spring fruit here in Albania and now that it is June it is all about fresh cherries. Much to my delight I did come across some very good-looking berries this weekend and bought some as a last hurrah to spring. After eating a few right out of the box I decided I wanted to do something special with these last berries of the year.
A little rummaging through the refrigerator produced these fast and easy treats. The combination of strawberries, mint, and goat cheese is so simple yet the flavors compliment each other nicely. We enjoyed them for lunch with cold glasses of Rose wine but you could just as easily serve them as an appetizer or as a part of a first course. More importantly, the total kitchen to table time was less than 10 minutes. How’s that for fast?
10 thin slices of Italian bread, or a crusty bread of your choice
1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
1 tablespoon fresh mint, minced
1/2 cup spreadable goat cheese
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Place the oven rack as close to the top of the oven as possible and turn the broiler to high.
- Place the bread slices on a baking tray and place under the broiler for 3 minutes watching carefully to ensure that the bread doesn’t burn.
- Combine the strawberries, mint, and salt in a small bowl. Toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl mix the goat cheese with the honey and lemon juice and stir until well combined.
- Spread approximately one tablespoon of the cheese mixture onto the top of each slice of bread. Top with an equal amount of the strawberry mixture.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and broil for 2-3 minutes until hot.
- Serve immediately.