It is Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing you want to do to cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
I love Asian food and a good curry tops my list of favorite foods. Sometimes I will make my own curry paste but the process is often time-consuming and I inevitably end up with more paste than I can use. There are good pre-made curry pastes on the market and I always have a stash on hand for quick, go to meals. I also love my curries with lots of heat but you can easily adjust the amount of spice by adding more or less paste to the coconut milk. Test the level of spice in your curry before you add the shrimp and peppers. If it is too spicy for your liking you can simply add more coconut milk to the mixture.
I like to serve my curry over a bed of jasmine rice but you can use any rice or grain you prefer. If you start the rice before you start cutting up your vegetables it will be finished at the same time as the curry.
GREEN COCONUT SHRIMP CURRY
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound medium shrimp, shelled and de-veined
3 cups coconut milk
4 ounces green curry paste, or more or less to taste
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large wok set over high heat. Saute the garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes until softened. Stir frequently so that the garlic does not burn. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the coconut milk to the wok. Stirring frequently, bring to a boil and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the green curry paste and the remaining coconut milk and stir until completely blended.
- Return the garlic and onions to the wok. Add the shrimp and peppers and simmer for 5 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Serve over rice and garnish with the chopped cilantro if desired.