I love grilled foods and in the Brown household we grill year around regardless of the weather. Now that it is warmer we do cook outside with more frequency. If you don’t have access to a grill, your oven’s broiler is a fine substitute. For this recipe I’ve used a spice rub on pork but you could easily substitute chicken if you prefer. Both are mild meats that will allow the bold flavors of the spices and the salsa to shine.
This salsa highlights fresh peaches and tomatoes, both of which are in season and abundant in the local markets right now. The salsa is more of a method than an exact recipe. Feel free to increase quantities of the fruits and vegetables or substitute others I was unable to find fresh jalapeno since my jalapeno source has moved back to the United States and finding the peppers in the local markets is a hit or miss proposition so I substituted canned ones. Do use fresh peppers if they are available since their flavor is so much better. You can adjust the amount of jalapeno depending upon how spicy you like your salsa.
SWEET & SPICY GRILLED PORK W/ PEACH SALSA
For the Pork:
6 pork chops or other bone-in pieces of pork
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
- Combine the olive oil, paprika, chili powder, cumin, rosemary, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and salt in a small bowl.
- Using your fingers, rub the mixture over all sides of the pork. Cover and allow to sit in the refrigerator for at least one hour or up to overnight.
- Pre-heat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Pour the honey into a small saucepan and heat until it is fluid and syrupy.
- Place the pork over indirect heat and baste with the melted honey.
- Cook for 16-20 minutes or until done, turning every 4 minutes and basting with honey after each turn.
For the Salsa:
5 ripe peaches, diced
2 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 small red onion, minced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (or more to taste)
3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
Juice and zest of one lime
4 teaspoons cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Stir to combine; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Immediately before serving, re-mix the salsa and adjust the seasonings. Serve alongside the grilled pork.