I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Nothing is better on a hot day than a dish of cold ice cream. And when you make it yourself, it is even better. Fresh seasonal fruits are a natural addition to ice cream and with peaches being in their prime at the moment, I decided this was the way to go. Instead of using plain old vanilla as the base for this ice cream, I experimented and added in mascarpone cheese. Since I only used milk, the addition of mascarpone added a richness and bit of tang to the custard.
You don’t necessarily have to peel the peaches before using them, but if you do the entire ice cream will have a smoother texture. I’ve found that the easiest way to peel peaches is to scald them. Simply submerge the peaches in a pot of boiling water for a few seconds (I do this individually), then dunk them in a bowl of ice water. Voila! The peels should easily slip off.
PEACH-MASCARPONE ICE CREAM
3 cups whole milk, or half milk and half cream
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
8 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
2 cups fresh peaches, peeled and chopped
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large sauce pan heat the milk over medium heat until it steams. Add the mascarpone cheese and stir until the mixture is smooth and the cheese is completely melted.
- In a heat proof bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and salt.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture whisking constantly until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture back to the sauce pan and stirring constantly, cook over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Transfer the custard to a large bowl and set on top of an larger pan filled with ice. Stirring ocassionally, allow the custard mixture to cool to room temperature. After it has cooled, move the custard to the refrigerator and allow to chill completely. You can also let the custard sit in the refrigerator overnight before proceeding with the next step.
- Following your ice cream maker’s instructions churn the ice cream until it has almost reached your desired consistency. Add in the peaches and continue to churn until done.
Yields 1 1/2 quarts