It is Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing you want to do to cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
Sometimes a salad is all you need for dinner. A bed of greens provides the perfect palate for building an interesting meal. The sky is the limit as I like to use whatever vegetables or fruits I have on hand. And I do like to use both fruits and vegetables since the combination of sweet and savory adds a satisfying contrast. Add a bit of protein and some bread and you have a complete and satisfying meal.
SPICY SHRIMP CHOP SALAD
For the dressing:
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
Juice of 2 limes
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice in a small bowl.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper and stir with a whisk. Set aside.
For the salad:
2 cups green leafy lettuce, chopped
2 cups arugula, chopped
1 small red bell pepper
1 small green pepper
1 small cucumber, peeled and seeded
1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1/2 cup fresh pineapple
1/2 cup fresh corn
- Divide the lettuce and arugula between to shallow bowls.
- Dice the tomato, peppers, cucumber, avocado, and pineapple into uniform bite sized pieces. Place in a large bowl. Add the corn and toss to combine.
- Drizzle the dressing over the mixture and stir gently.
- Evenly divide the vegetable mixture over the top of the lettuce and arugula.
For the shrimp:
1 cup raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup corn starch
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Place the cornstarch in a large plastic bag and add the shrimp. Toss to coat.
- In a shallow pie pan, combine the garlic powder, paprika, salt, thyme, and cayenne pepper. Add the shrimp and toss to coat.
- Add the shrimp to the hot oil and stirring occasionally cook until browned and crispy, 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the shrimp over the top of the prepared salads.
For the toasts:
4 slices crusty bread
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon butter
Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the garlic powder and stir to combine.
Add the bread and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until brown and toasted.