It is Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing you want to do to cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
I recently went wild with purchasing peppers at a local market. Their brightly colored red and yellow skins were so appealing that before I knew it I found myself carting home six kilograms of the vegetables and soon set about creating pepper dishes. Stuffed peppers are always a hit but I wanted to do something a little different. This dish is inspired by traditional Albanian cheese stuffed peppers. To speed up the meal I skipped stuffing them and instead cut them up to create a casserole. Farmers cheese is plentiful here in Albania but you can substitute a small curd cottage cheese.
BAKED CHEESE & PEPPERS
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 large red peppers, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 large yellow peppers, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups farmers cheese
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a medium-sized casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until soft and fragrant. Add the peppers and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes then set aside.
- Place the farmers cheese, eggs, dill, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the pepper mixture and gently fold with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the entire mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until hot and bubbly and browned on top.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.