Here is an easy way to dress up an ordinary weekend breakfast. Homemade breakfast sausages are surprisingly easy to make and taste so much better than commercially made ones. Add some warm apples to the mix and you have a tasty treat. The apples are even more decadent since they are cooked in the sausage drippings. All you need is some French toast to accompany the dish and you are good to go. I know this dish isn’t very healthy but every once in a while you deserve a special treat so enjoy!
BREAKFAST SAUSAGE PATTIES w/ FRIED APPLES
For the sausages:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds ground pork
2 1/2 Teaspoons salt
1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 Teaspoon toasted fennel seeds, crushed
2 Teaspoons dried sage
1/2 Teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1/2 Teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 Teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Heat oil in a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl using your hands to ensure that the spices are well blended.
- Divide the meat into 12 even portions and form into patties about 1 inch thick.
- Working in two batches, cook patties, flipping once, until brown and cooked through, 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towels to drain before serving. Do not discard the pan drippings as you will need them to fry the apples
For the fried apples:
4 Macintosh apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Heat the sausage drippings over medium-high heat.
- Place the apples in a medium-sized bowl and sprinkle with the sugar, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add the apples to the hot sausage drippings and stir until they are coated with the drippings.
- Stirring occasionally, saute for 8-10 minutes until the apples are soft and heated through. Take care not to break the apples into pieces.
- Serve the apples warm over the top of the sausages.