It is Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing you want to do to cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
This mysteriously named chicken dish gets its name from its beautiful mahogany red color. If you like Asian dishes you will love the rich and complex flavors of this chicken. This is an old recipe for me; it is a Cuisine at Home recipe that became one of my go-to dinners when Glenn would invite the geographic-bachelors from his ship home for dinner. With a large enough pan the dish can easily be doubled or tripled to serve a crowd and once the ingredients are in the pan the dish cooks itself giving you time to prepare the side dishes while the chicken simmers. Because the sauce is the best part of the dish, I like to serve it over scallion scented rice.
RED COOKED CHICKEN
10 ounces low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup chopped scallions
3 tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark)
2 slices fresh ginger, peeled
2 star anise pods
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 chicken leg quarters, skinned
- Bring the soy sauce, sherry, scallions, brown sugar, ginger, star anise, cinnamon stick, and red pepper flakes to a boil in a large saute pan set over high heat.
- Add the chicken to the pan, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and reduce the heat to medium.
- Simmer for 25 minutes, then turn the chicken oven, cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- With the pan uncovered, bring the liquid to a boil and cook for 3-5 minutes until the liquid is syrupy. Serve the sauce over the chicken.