It is Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing you want to do to cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
Curry is the ultimate in Asian comfort food. To me, it warms me both inside and out. You can put just about anything into your curry; whether you use meats, tofu, or any of a combination of vegetables, you really can’t go wrong. Eggplant adds a bit of bulk to an otherwise light dish making it a filling dinner choice. If you aren’t a fan of tofu you can substitute an equal amount of meat, chicken, pork, or shrimp. To make the dish completely vegetarian, use vegetable broth instead of the chicken broth. Serve it over basmati rice and dinner is ready.
CURRIED EGGPLANT & TOFU
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
4 tablespoons yellow curry paste
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
1 tablespoon fish sauce (omit for a vegetarian version)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 cups purple eggplant, cut into bite sized pieces
1 pound firm tofu, cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup diced tomatoes
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste
Cilantro and limes for garnish (optional)
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok set over high heat. When the oil shimmers add the red onion and curry paste and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, and lemon zest. Add to the wok and bring to a boil.
- Add the eggplant to the wok and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tofu and tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately over basmati rice.