It is Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing you want to do to cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
This meal lets you dress up an ordinary steak with a bit of spice and seasonal fruit. I love the marbling in rib eye steaks but you can use whichever cut of meat you prefer. The spice rub give the meat a little extra kick while the grapefruit and avocado put a new spin on a typical salsa. Serve alongside a baked potato and you have a complete meal in less than half an hour. Now that is the perfect way to end your work week.
SPICE RUBBED STEAK W/ AVOCADO-GRAPEFRUIT SALSA
2 rib eye steaks
For the steak rub:
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon coriander
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Evenly divide the spice rub amongst both sides of the two steaks. Use your fingers to massage the spice into the meat.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before grilling.
- Lightly grease a grill with cooking spray. Pre-heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the steaks in the center of the grill and cook for approximately 9 minutes (for medium-rare) to desired level of doneness flipping every two to three minutes. The amount of grilling time will depend upon the thickness of the meat and your personal preferences.
For the salsa:
1 red grapefruit, peeled and sectioned with membranes removed, cut into bite sized pieces
1 ripe Haas avocado, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
1 chili pepper, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons minced red onion
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
Juice of 1 lime
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Serve along side the grilled steak.