I love this new twist on traditional chili. As I’ve discovered chili is a controversial food. Everyone seems to think their version is the best. From no beans to those with, meat or meatless, red or white, mild to fire extinguisher hot, how does one really determine which chili is the best? Isn’t it all based on personal preference? I’m all about variety being the spice of life. I love a good spicy meat based chili (filled with lots of veggies too) but this white chili is also a contender.
The recipe comes from one of my favorite food blogs of all time, The Yankee Kitchen Ninja. The Ninj makes the chili in a crockpot but I adapted it slightly and used a Dutch oven on my stove top with good results since my crockpot was already packed away in anticipation of our big move when I tackled this recipe. So cook up a big pot of this hearty chili for your Superbowl party. It will add a bit of variety to you day and our guests will love it.
WHITE BEAN, CHICKEN, & CORN CHILI
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
1 1/4 pounds diced boneless chicken breasts
1 15 ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 ounce can corn, drained
1 large carrot, finely diced
1 small can diced green chilis
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt & pepper
Sour cream or Greek yogurt
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Diced black olives
- Place the oil in a large Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion and garlic and saute until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned on all sides, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Bring the chili to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and cover. Allow the chili to simmer for at least 2 hours or longer. The longer the chili cooks the more the flavors will meld.
- If the chili is too thin, mash up some of the beans.
Serve with tortilla chips and the toppings of your choice.