It is Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing you want to do to cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
This dish is a take on a traditional chicken piccata. The olives and capers provide a salty contrast the tangy lemons . And most importantly, the dish is faster to make than one would think. You can buy whole boneless chicken breasts and pound them into thin yourself but if you buy chicken filets you will save time. To get the most flavor out of this dish, serve the chicken with a pasta or risotto that can absorb the sauce.
LEMON CHICKEN w/DRY CURED OLIVES & CAPERS
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and fresh ground pepper
8 thin, boneless chicken breast cutlets
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups, low-sodium chicken broth
1 large lemon, seeded and sliced into 1/4 inch moons
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup black olives, pits intact
4 tablespoons capers, rinsed
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Spread the flour in a shallow dish and sprinkle liberally with the salt and pepper. Dredge each cutlet in the flour mixture and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add half of the cutlets and cook until light golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Add more oil to the skillet if needed and repeat the cooking process with the remaining chicken.
- Add the shallot and garlic to the oil left in the skillet and cook over medium heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the broth and lemon slices, deglazing the pan and scraping up any browned bits. Simmer until reduced and syrupy, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice, olives, capers, and any accumulated chicken juice. Return the chicken to the sauce. At this point the chicken can sit over low heat until ready to serve.
- Immediately before serving stir in the butter, one piece at a time. Turn off the heat, adjust the salt and pepper and sprinkle with chopped parsley.