It is Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing you want to do to cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
Because there is something inherently sophisticated about the combination of beef and mushrooms, this dish from Cuisine at Home is fancy enough for a dinner party but fast and easy enough to be an end of the week family dinner. You can serve it over everything from mashed potatoes and orzo to risotto and buttered egg noodles. Just add a vegetable and dinner is ready. Enjoy!
BEEF TIPS w/ MUSHROOM CREAM SAUCE
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound beef tenderloin tips, cubed
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
1 pound sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup dry Marsala
1 cup heavy cream
2 ounces cream cheese
2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet, set over high heat, until the oil shimmers.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet. Sear the beef on all sides then transfer the meat to a plate.
- Add the mushrooms to the same skillet. Cover and cook over high heat until the mushrooms release their liquid. Remove the lid from the pan and continue cooking until the mushrooms are brown and the liquid evaporates, 7-9 minutes.
- Add the shallots and garlic to the skillet and cook until they are fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the skillet with the Marsala being sure to scrape up any browned bits that remain on the bottom of the pan. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Reduce the temperature to medium and stir in the cream, cream cheese, and mustard. Simmer the sauce until it is thickened, 3-5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and thyme and stir to combine.
- Return the beef to the pan along with any accumulated juices. Stir to coat then serve immediately.