What is similar to pulled pork and reminiscent of barbecue chicken yet so much easier to make? Slow cooker sweet and sticky chicken! This recipe is from Macaroni & Cheesecake (if you haven’t checked out this food blog yet, do so since it is filled with a variety of great recipes) and is so easy to make that it is becoming one of my go-to weeknight meals.
Having recently rediscovered my trusty slow cooker I’ve been giving it a workout over the past few months. After all, what is easier than placing all of your ingredients in a pot, pushing a button then having dinner ready when you return home at the end of the day. And as I’ve been reminded, chicken, or any meat for that matter, that is cooked in the slow cooker comes out incredibly tender and juicy. It is also super easy to shred since it literally falls apart with the touch of a fork. You almost don’t need a sauce but this sauce is so delicious that you must use it. So break out your slow cooker, pull together all of your ingredients and return home to a meal your family will love. I served this on top of rice but I think garlic mashed potatoes or as a sandwich would also be good.
SLOW COOKER SWEET & STICKY CHICKEN
3 large chicken breasts
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup honey (preferably organic)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more if you prefer your food spicier
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/3 cup water
Rice, potatoes, or other starch for serving
- Generously sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place inside of your slow cooker.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, stir together the onion, garlic, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, olive oil, and red pepper flakes until fully incorporated. Pour into crock pot. Cook on high heat for 2 hours (or you can cook on low for 3 to 4 hours).
- When the chicken is done, move it to a large platter and using two forks, shred the meat into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water until smooth and well blended. Add the mixture to the liquid in the slow cooker and stir well.
- Cook on high for10 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir until the chicken is completely coated in the sauce.