Chances are, if you are baking up a ham for dinner today, you will find yourself with quite a bit of leftover meat. How about using some in these sweet and savory muffins? Ham and cheese are a natural pairing but when you add some apples you have the perfect trifecta. There are many types of ham out there but this recipe works best with a spiral cut honey ham since its sweetness is the perfect contrast for the sharpness of the Cheddar cheese. If you find yourself with a boiled ham, increase its sweetness by tossing the ham in 1 tablespoon of brown sugar before adding it to the batter.
HAM & CHEDDAR APPLE MUFFINS
3 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup plain yogurt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 medium apple, shredded (I prefer Macintosh)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cooled
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt and eggs.
- Fold the yogurt mixture into the flour until just combined.
- Add in the ham, cheese and apples and fold until just combined.
- Gently stir in the melted butter.
- Evenly divide the batter amongst the muffin cups.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes then allow to sit for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool an additional 10 minutes before serving. These muffins are best served warm.
Yields: 12 muffins