Traditional potato latkes are nice but if you like sweet potatoes as much as I do, you’re going to love these latkes. Made with sweet potatoes and just a hint of sage, they are earthy and satisfying making them the perfect accompaniment for grilled meat. I love to serve these with a dollop of sage cream sauce on top. However, when I serve them with my Bourbon & Brown Sugar Marinated Flank Steak, I omit the cream and let the potatoes soak up the steak sauce.
SWEET POTATO LATKES w/ SAGE CREAM
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
4 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
6 sprigs fresh sage, 3 chopped and 3 whole
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the sweet potato, scallions, flour, eggs, 2 chopped sage leaves, and salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl.
- Use you hands to form the mixture into 2 inch patties.
- Arrange the patties on the baking sheet. Brush the olive oil over the top of each patty.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the bottoms have browned.
- Flip the latkes and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the sour cream or creme fraiche and the remaining sage in a small bowl. Using a stick blender puree until smooth.
- Season the latkes with salt and pepper and serve topped with the sour cream and sage mixture.