It is Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing you want to do to cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
The recipe, adapted from the Splendid Table, is the ultimate in fast since it literally cooks in minutes. I like my food with a bit of heat but if you think it will be too spicy for your taste you can use less Tabasco and cumin. While the soup cooks you can make the avocado, cucumber, and orange salsa, which when paired with a dollop of sour cream tempers the heat of the soup. Don’t skip this addition; this simple salsa takes the soup from good to unbelievable.
SPICY BLACK BEAN SOUP
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups vegetable broth
2 – 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed
1 cup roasted red peppers, diced
1 – 15 ounce can corn
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
1 avocado, cubed
Juice of 1 lime
1 orange, peeled and chopped
1/2 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup sour cream
- Heat the oil in a large pot set over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, beans, corn, red peppers, seasonings, and hot sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, combine the avocado, lime juice, orange, and cucumber in a small bowl. Toss well.
- Serve the soup in bowls topped with the avocado and orange mixture and top with a dollop of sour cream.