Fire up your grill and impress your guests with these flavorful lamb kabobs from The Food Republic. Cinnamon and garlic pair with chili peppers and orange to create a surprisingly tasty combination that is sure to wow. Because they marinade overnight the spices really permeate the meat. Lamb is best but if you can’t find it feel free to substitute a lean cut of beef. This is one of those dishes that takes some planning since the meat does need to marinate overnight. However, once you are ready to grill the meal comes together quickly. (Prep your meat on Thursday night and you could even make this as a Fast Friday dinner). To compliment the flavors and the quick factor, I served these kabobs over a bed of couscous. Yum!
LAMB, ORANGE & CHILE KABOBS
4 double metal skewers
2 1/4 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, trimmed
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed with 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Cut the lamb into 2 1/2 inch pieces and place in a large sealable plastic bag.
- Add the oil, crushed garlic and salt, bay leaves, cinnamon and all spice and seal the bag. Massage the bag with your hands until all of the ingredients are combined and the meat is well coated.
- Add the orange zest and chiles to the meat then juice the orange and add to the bag.
- Reseal the bag and allow to sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- When you are ready to cook, remove the lamb from the refrigerator, season with salt and pepper, and mix well. Allow the mixture to come to room temperature before proceeding.
- Cut the orange zest and chiles into pieces.
- Threat the lamb onto skewers alternating with the pieces of chile peppers and orange zest.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the skewers over direct heat, turning occasionally until the meat is cooked through, approximately 12 to 15 minutes depending upon your preferred level of doneness.
- Remove the meat from the grill and drizzle with honey. Tent the meat with foil and allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.