The bright and tangy flavor of lemons make for one of my all time favorite muffins. Add in earthy and crunchy poppy seeds and you have a breakfast muffin that will disappear in no time. This recipe from the Brown Eyed Baker has become one of my go to breakfast recipes. It is easy and essentially foolproof making it ideal for both casual breakfasts and more formal brunches. I think these muffins are best when served slightly warm so if you happen to have any left over simply reheat them in the microwave oven for a few seconds and enjoy them with a cup of afternoon tea.
LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS
2/3 cup sugar
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line the molds of a 12-cup muffin pan with paper muffin cups or coat the molds with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, rub the sugar and lemon zest between your fingers until the sugar is moist and the mixture is fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl or large measuring cup, lightly beat the eggs. Add the melted butter, sour cream, vanilla and lemon juice and mix well to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients mixing with a spatula until just combined. A few lumps are OK.
- Fold in the poppy seeds.
- Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
Yields: 12 muffins