I love making goodies for bake sales. First, bake sales often help fund a good cause and who doesn’t like supporting a good cause. Second, they are a great opportunity to bake up a storm then get your baked goods out of the house. I mean, it is wonderful to have cookies around but who can stop at eating just one? And lastly, bake sales are a great opportunity for me to not only experiment with my own ingredients but also a chance to introduce others to new flavor combinations. For a minimal financial commitment people can try something new. In my mind, its an all around winning situation.
These cookies are adapted from a Cuisine at Home recipe. Every bake sale has chocolate chip cookies and most have oatmeal raisin as well so I for a recent bake sale I decided to do something a bit different. I added chocolate covered caramels to an chai infused oatmeal cookie batter and what resulted was these sweet and chewy cookies that sold out in no time. I used Dove chocolate covered caramels and cut them into quarters. If you can’t find these use another soft caramel (if they are too hard they will be difficult to cut). Alternatively you can use a combination of chocolate chips and caramel bits.
CHOCOLATE CARAMEL CHAI OATMEAL COOKIES
2 cups all purpose flour
3 double spice chai tea bags or 1 tablespoon of loose chai tea leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
12 ounces Dove chocolate covered caramels, cut into quarters
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the flour, tea leaves, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate large bowl and an electric mixer beat the butter, brown and white sugars, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the oats and chocolate covered caramel pieces.
- Using a 2 tablespoon scoop, drop the dough on the prepared sheets leaving 1 1/2 to 2 inches of space between each cookie.
- Working in batches, bake until the cookies are golden brown and slightly cracked on top, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to cool slightly before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Yields: 4 dozen cookies