Are you looking for a side dish for your next potluck picnic or cookout? Coleslaw, pasta salads, and potato salads have been done before and chances are someone else will already be bringing one. So why don’t you bring something different? This black bean, corn and quinoa salad is sure to please everyone in your crowd and can easily be made in half of the time of the above mentioned side salads.
If you’ve never tried quinoa before it is a small chewy grain with a slightly nutty flavor. It can be served plain or as a base for sauces or herbs. It is also the perfect base for cold salads. In this recipe adapted from Williams Sonoma the quinoa is combined with corn, black beans, tomatoes and red pepper to form a flavorful and satisfying side dish. A lime juice and cilantro dressing keeps the salad light making this salad a welcome addition to any picnic table.
BLACK BEAN, CORN & QUINOA SALAD
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons fresh minced cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup dried quinoa
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2/3 cup corn
1 small red pepper, seeded and diced
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, cilantro, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the quinoa and 1 1/2 cups water. Stir in the salt. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the quinoa is tender and all the water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the quinoa to a colander and rinse under cold running water. Drain thoroughly, then transfer to a large nonreactive bowl.
- Add the black beans to the bowl with the quinoa. Fold in the cherry tomatoes, corn, and red pepper.
- Pour in the dressing and stir to coat all the ingredients well.
- Transfer the salad to a large serving bowl or individual plates and serve.