Sometimes all you want for dinner is a sandwich. I know in my family sandwiches area a favorite dinner and grilled cheese are by far the most requested option. But because they are dinner, you want the sandwiches to be both filling and satisfying, holding you over until breakfast the next morning. My answer is these cheese sandwiches that are filled with other tasty additions; tomatoes, avocado and bacon sandwiched between cheese and bread are sure to satisfy. Using two different types of cheese in my sandwiches. Here I’ve used cheddar and Gouda but other favorite combinations include Jarlsberg and cheddar or Colby and Swiss. For added interest you could add a bit of shredded Asiago or Parmesan or experiment with any combination of the good local cheeses that are out there. Any way you make it, these definitely aren’t the grilled cheese sandwiches of my childhood.
BACON, TOMATO & AVOCADO GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES
4 slices thick sliced sour dough bread, or another substantial bread of your choice
2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
4 slices sharp cheddar cheese, or other cheese of your choice
4 slices Gouda cheese, or other cheese of your choice
4 slices thick cut bacon, cooked until crisp
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
1 ripe tomato, sliced
- Preheat a griddle or iron skillet over medium high heat.
- For each sandwich, place 2 slices of cheese onto 2 slices of bread.
- Top with half of the avocado, 2 slices of bacon then half of the tomatoes.
- Top with the remaining slices of cheese and the other slice of bread.
- Spread 1/4 of the butter onto the top of each slice of bread.
- Place the sandwiches, buttered side down onto the griddle. Carefully spread the remaining butter on top of the top slice of bread.
- Grill, until the bottom slice of bread is golden brown and the cheese has begun to melt about 6-7 minutes.
- Using a large spatula, carefully flip the sandwich over and continue to cook until the second side of the sandwich is golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the griddle and slice in half before serving.
Yields: 2 sandwiches