It’s peach season and I couldn’t be more excited. Here’s an easy way to celebrate the bounty of fresh peaches that are flooding the markets. I’ve tweaked the original recipe from Cooking Light , adding additional spices to create a fiery yet sweet salsa to accompany the juicy chicken thighs. Use the ripest peaches you can find since their sweetness will be countered by the tang of lime and the heat of the jalapenos. Marinate the chicken for at least one hour but for more flavorful meat let it is in the cumin and oil bath for up to 8 hours. Leaving the skin on the chicken is optional but the skin grills up crisp and leaves the chicken super moist. In the words of both boys in my family, this is the best chicken ever.
CUMIN CHICKEN W/ PEACH-LIME SALSA
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
8 garlic cloves, minced
6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
4 tablespoons red onion, finely minced
2 tablespoons basil, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 jalapeno, minced (and seeded if you prefer less heat)
3 ripe peaches, pitted and diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the olive oil, cumin and garlic in a large Ziploc bag. Add the chicken thighs, distributing the marinade onto all sides of the chicken.
- Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour but up to 8 hours.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the onion, basil, mint, lime juice, sugar and jalapeno. Add the peaches and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Stir well and allow to sit for 1 hour.
- Half an hour before grilling, take the chicken out of the refrigerator and allow to sit.
- Coat a grill with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 6 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook for an additional 6-7 minutes or until the juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from the grill and serve alongside the salsa.