I love Asian noodle dishes but the ones I find in restaurants are often covered in heavy, too sweet sauces with overcooked vegetables. Maybe I am just choosing the wrong restaurants but I usually leave feeling disappointed and unsatisfied. This dish is different and once again has convinced me that the best Asian food are the dishes I make at home.
Because the vegetables are stir fried in sesame oil over high heat, they emerge crispy and not mushy. The sauce is light with just a touch of sweetness. And the noodles….they absorb all of the yummy sauciness. If you don’t feel like using chicken you can easily substitute shrimp or pork. The result is a light dish that cooks up quickly. Enjoy!
ORIENTAL CHICKEN NOODLES
9 ounces tagliatelle pasta
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 small chili pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 bell pepper, sliced
5 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- Place a large pot filled with salted water over high heat. When the water boils, add the tagliatelle and cook for 9-11 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large steel wok over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the sesame seeds and toast until fragrant. Remove from the pan.
- Add the sesame and vegetable oil to the skillet. When the skillet is hot, add the chili pepper, ginger and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the chicken to the wok and cook for 3-4 minutes, tossing occasionally until it is browned on all sides.
- Add the carrots, pepper and mushrooms and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, fish sauce and soy sauce with the chicken broth. Pour the sauce over the meat and vegetables and stir well.
- Add the cooked tagliatelle to the wok and cook for an additional minute.
- Divide the pasta between four warmed pasta bowls. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and cilantro and serve immediately.