It’s Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing I want to do is cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
If you love baked macaroni and cheese but wanting something a little different and a bit faster? Then try these super fast and even easier gnocchi from Williams Sonoma. Making your own gnocchi is easy and fun but with so many good tasting gnocchi available in the markets I make sure I always have a package in my pantry for last minute dinners. Pancetta adds a bit of complexity to the dish cutting down on the richness of the cheese. I used sage as my aromatic but fresh minced thyme is also good.
CHEESY BAKED GNOCCHI w/ PANCETTA & SAGE
2 13 ounce packages prepared gnocchi
1/4 pound pancetta, diced
2 tablespoons fresh minced sage
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/2 pound aged cheese, rind removed, cut into 1/4 inch cubes (I used Chimay Grand Classique)
1/4 cup) panko crumbs
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly grease a shallow baking dish or pie plate.
- Cook the gnocchi according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, saute the pancetta over medium heat until it starts to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sage, half-and-half, cheese and gnocchi.
- Pour the gnocchi mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Season with the black pepper then sprinkle the panko crumbs evenly over the top of the gnocchi.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake the gnocchi until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.