I’m always on the lookout for new side dishes that are both fast and flavorful so I fell in love with these potatoes adapted from Cuisine At Home magazine the minute I saw the recipe. They are so easy to make and are the perfect accompaniment to grilled meats or chicken. You can adjust the amount of heat by using more or less of the jalapeno pepper and even substitute other types of cheese for the Cheddar. Yum!
Japapeno-Cheddar Fried Potatoes
1 pound, red skinned potatoes, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 cup diced pancetta (optional)
1 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
!/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the broiler.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain.
- Place the pancetta in a large cast iron skillet and cook over medium-high heat until crispy.
- Add the oil to the skillet with the pancetta.
- Fry the potatoes in the oil and pancetta, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5-8 minutes.
- Add the scallions and jalapenos and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with the Cheddar cheese and place the skillet in the oven.
- Broil for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.