Fall is really here. How do I know? Because apples are readily available. They are in the markets and grocery stores and are ripe for the picking at local orchards. So what better way to celebrate than with this delicious apple honey cake which is adapted from Southern Living Magazine. Like most things that come from the south, this cake is sweet. But don’t let all of the sugar deter you from making it and certainly don’t skip the honey sauce. To temper some of the sweetness I chose a tart Suntan apple that we picked at a local Belgian orchard. I also used a local raw honey which is rich and flavorful rather than sweet. If you have access to a less sweet yet flavorful honey, use it. It will only add to the complexity of your cake.
A little of this cake goes a long way so plan on being able to serve 12 or so people with this cake. So bake one up for a dinner party or if there are only a few of you at the dinner table, send the leftovers to work the next day. You will become the office hero (and have the opportunity to eat a second piece yourself).
HONEY APPLE CAKE
For the cake:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup good quality honey
3 large eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups tart apples, peeled and diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan. Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with the chopped walnuts and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, oil and honey in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, vanilla powder, nutmeg and cloves in a medium sized bowl.
- Turn the electric mixer to low and gradually add the flour mixture to the wet mixture until just blended.
- Fold in the vanilla extract and the apples.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Move the cake to a wire rack for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
Meanwhile make the honey sauce:
For the honey sauce:
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup milk
- Bring all of the ingredients to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan set over medium-high heat.
- Stir constantly until the mixture comes to a boil then continue to boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the sauce over the warm cake, reserving the remainder for serving.
Yields: 12 servings