It’s Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing I want to do is cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
Gnocchi are the perfect end of the week dinner. They cook up fast–in just a few minutes and they are incredibly satisfying. While this butter sauce is completely decadent the combination of the browned butter and sage make this simple dish feel gourmet. And since I’m a firm believer in everything being acceptable to eat in moderation, go ahead and enjoy these buttery little bits of pasta. You won’t be disappointed.
BROWNED BUTTER & SAGE GNOCCHI
1 13 ounce package prepared gnocchi
1/3 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, minced
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Place a large pot of salted water over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- While the water heats, slowly melt the butter in a large skillet set over medium high heat. Once the butter has melted and is slightly foamy, reduce the heat to medium and add the sage leaves. Cook, stirring occasionally until the butter is browned and nutty and the sage leaves are slightly crispy.
- When the water is boiling add the gnocchi and cook for 3-4 minutes. You will know the gnocchi are done with they float to the surface of the water.
- Use a slotted spoon to skim the gnocchi from the top of the water and add them to the skillet with the butter and sage mixture.
- Gently fold the gnocchi into the butter to coat complete.
- Remove the pan from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the gnocchi among four shallow pasta bowls, drizzling with any remaining butter.
- Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese over the top and serve immediately.