Who doesn’t love cookies? We certainly do in our house; I can bake dozens and they start to disappear the minute they come out of the oven. Those that last until the next morning get packaged up and brought to school for snack (for the little boy) and to work to be shared during coffee break (for the big boy). As for the types of cookies we like; they are all good. But by far, these crispy cookies, filled with chocolate chips, salty pistachios and sweet and chewy dried cherries, are our all time favorite. The recipe comes from Williams Sonoma and has become my go to cookie for bake sales, casual desserts or just snacking. And they keep and ship well as is evidenced by the dozens upon dozens I used to mail to Glenn during this last deployment.
I think of these cookies as a grown up version of the chocolate chip cookies of our childhoods. They are simultaneously crispy yet chewy and you are guaranteed to get a bite of cherry, chocolate or nut –or all three–in every bite. If you can find shelled pistachios use them since shelling the nuts can be quite time consuming. And has become my habit, I use miniature chocolate chips since I think they produce more chocolaty goodness in every bite!
Chocolate Chip, Cherry & Pistachio Crisps
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup miniature chocolate chips
3/4 cup unsalted pistachios, chopped
3/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease two baking sheets and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl and using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the brown and white sugars and beat until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl then add the corn syrup, milk and vanilla extract. Beat well.
- Reduce the speed to low then add in the flour mixture, beating until just combined.
- Using a rubber spatula fold in the chocolate chips, pistachios and cherries.
- Using you hands, roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Using the bottom of a glass or measuring cup flatten the cookies into discs that are 3/8 of an inch thick.
- Bake for 4 minutes then turn the baking sheet and continue to bake for an additional 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and allow to cool for 3 minutes before moving the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Yields: 4 dozen cookies