It’s Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing I want to do is cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
Fresh fish is a wonderfully fast dinner option. On Fridays my local farmer’s market features several fish vendors who bring in their catch from the North Sea. Some mornings there are so many options that is can be overwhelming but I am gradually becoming more comfortable with recognizing the fish and as well as their French names. Cod, however, is a fish that I am quite familiar with and one that my entire family will eat since its firm white flesh isn’t “fishy”. This is a one-pan dish with the Cod being sauteed on top of the fennel and pepper slaw, ingredients that I was also able to pick up at the morning market.
SAUTEED COD w/ WARM FENNEL-PEPPER SLAW
2 4-ounce cod filets, or other firm white fish
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced, fronds reserved
1 small shallot, diced
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into strips
1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into strips
2 tablespoons Pernod
Salt & pepper
- Season the cod on both sides with the salt and pepper then set aside on a plate.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.
- When the oil shimmers, add in the fennel, shallot and both peppers.
- Cook for 2 minutes then stir in the Pernod.
- Push the vegetables to the side of the skillet creating an open space for the Cod.
- Add the Cod to the pan and cook without disturbing for 4 to 5 minutes or until the fish begins to flake.
- Flip the fish over and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the fish is firm.
- Divide the fennel and pepper mixture amongst two plates.
- Place the Cod on top of the vegetables then sprinkle with the reserved fennel fronds.
- Serve immediately.