It’s Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing I want to do is cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
This dish adapted from The Splendid Table (which by the way is the best podcast ever) uses one of my all time favorite vegetables: artichokes. Artichokes have a mild and slightly sweet and tangy flavor that pairs well with just about anything. Here it is combined with Dijon mustard and chicken to make a quick end of the week dinner that the entire family will eat. In order to keep the flavor subtle, be sure to use plain artichoke hearts and not ones that have been pickled. Serve the chicken over rice so you can absorb all of the yummy sauce.
Chicken w/ Artichokes in Creamy Mustard Sauce
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon, divided freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups canned artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Season the chicken on both sides with half of the salt and half of the pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken and brown for 2 to 3 minutes per side. It does not need to be cooked through at this point.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the shallot and red pepper flakes and scraping the bottom of the pan, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the artichoke hearts, lemon zest, oregano and the remaining salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 2 minutes then stir in the tomatoes.
- Return the chicken to the pan then add the wine and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat so the chicken is at a low simmer and cover.
- Cook for an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine the cream and mustard in a small bowl.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the mustard sauce.
- Top with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.