Here’s an easy dinner dinner adapted from The Yankee Kitchen Ninja that is sure to please everyone. I’ve swapped out pumpkin for the butternut squash called for in the original recipe and, catering to the tastes of the youngest family member, used mild Italian sausage instead of the hot version. Pumpkin and kale are two of my favorite autumn ingredients and when combined with the sausage they create the perfect “sauce” to serve over freshly cooked pasta. And I personally love the use of the pumpkin in this recipe since it creates a creamy and mild tasting sauce that coats the rest of the ingredients making an otherwise simple meal taste quite luxurious.
PUMPKIN & SAUSAGE CHILI MAC
12 ounces fresh pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 ounces loose mild Italian sausage
2 cups pumpkin, cubed
1 small red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
4 cups coarsely chopped kale
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and cook, stirring to crumble, until the sausage is browned. Remove from the skillet.
- Add the pumpkin, onion and garlic to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, flour, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute, stirring continually.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, cooking until the pumpkin is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Add the kale and cook until it just begins to wilt.
- Return the sausage to the skillet and stir to heat through.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve the sausage and pumpkin mixture over the prepared pasta.