It’s Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing I want to do is cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
Here is an easy gnocchi meal that is adapted from a Cooking Light recipe. Gnocchi is always a favorite go-to meal for my family but this dish is great since it is a one pot meal. Instead of boiling the gnocchi, which often results in over-cooked and soggy pasta, these gnocchi are pan sauteed in the same skillet as the sausage. The result is firm yet perfectly cooked gnocchi that hold their shape. And of course, only having a single pan to clean up is an added bonus.
TOMATO & SAUSAGE SKILLET GNOCCHI
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 16-ounce package gnocchi
12 ounces spicy Italian sausage (loose)
2 large tomatoes, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat a broiler to high.
- Heat the oil in a large, oven proof skillet over medium-heat.
- When the oil shimmers, swirl it to coat then add the gnocchi, cooking for 7 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the gnocchi from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the sausage to the skillet and cook for 5 to 6 minutes until browned on all sides. Stir the meat occasionally to crumble it.
- Return the gnocchi to the skillet along with the tomatoes and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth and cook for an additional minute.
- Sprinkle the mixture with the mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until the cheese has melted and is beginning to brown.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, sprinkle with the chopped basil and serve.