My college had a wonderful tradition of serving snacks every evening at 09.30. Called “milk & cookies” these mid-evening snacks were a much anticipated study break that had everyone lining up with their mugs in anticipation. Some nights the treats were healthier with fresh fruit or crudite and low-fat dips being the evening’s snack but other nights the offerings were definitely more decadent. Cakes and cookies were always popular but the most anticipated milk and cookie offering of all were giant rice crispy treats. Yes, these childhood snacks of crispy cereal held together with gooey marshmallow were what got us excited. They were so simple yet so satisfying.
A recent request for yet another bake sale contribution had me scrambling for an easy last minute recipe. Because the most recent edition of my alumnae magazine had just arrived in my mailbox I was feeling a bit nostalgic for my alma mater and these treats came to mind. I doctored up the original recipe by adding a generous dose of peanut butter and chocolate chips but the memories remain the same.
PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP RICE CRISPY TREATS
3 tablespoons butter
10 ounces marshmallows
1/2 cup peanut butter
6 cups puffed rice cereal (Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal remains the hallmark for these treats)
1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- Coat a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan set over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the peanut butter, mixing until completely melted and smooth.
- Add the rice cereal and stir until it is well coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a rubber spatula, press the cereal mixture into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely before cutting into squares.
Yields: 20 treats