It’s Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing I want to do is cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
I love serving fresh fish for dinner. Not only is it incredibly healthy but it cooks quickly, making it the perfect weekend night meal. For me, the simpler the fish the better as a good fish doesn’t require a lot of additional seasonings or sauces. And this Cod dish doesn’t get much simpler; all it takes is a dash of salt and pepper and a bit of lemon juice and it is perfect.
I like to serve the Cod on top of a bed of garlicky kale. The strong and earthy flavors of the kale contrast nicely with the fish and provide for a satisfying meal. Cook the kale while the fish is roasting and you will have dinner on the table in less than half an hour.
LEMON ROASTED COD OVER GARLICKY KALE
For the Cod:
4 4 ounce cod filets
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 slices lemon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the Cod filets on the baking sheet and sprinkle the salt and pepper over the tops of each filet.
- Place one lemon slice on top of each filet.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Cooking time will depend upon the thickness of the filets.
For the kale:
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups kale, rinsed, dried and coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- When it shimmers, add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the kale and cook, tossing regularly, until the kale has wilted and is bright green.
- Sprinkle with salt.