What better way to ring in the new year then with good friends and a bubbling pot of cheese fondue. We love fondue in our house and made it special (and ordinary) occasions before it became trendy again. But here in Belgium, where fresh French Bread, crisp German Reisling wine and Swiss cheeses are all readily available, making this dish is a natural. So in honor of New Years, here’s our old family recipe.
Happy 2015. May the new year be filled with health, happiness and lots of good food!
1 pound shredded cheese (I use a variety of Jarlsberg, Emmenthaler, and Greuyer)
3 tablespoons flour
1 garlic clove
1 3/4 cups dry Reisling wine
1/4 cup kirsch
salt & pepper to taste
- Dredge the shredded cheese in flour. I like to use a large Ziploc bag to combine everything.
- Rub the inside of a fondue pot with sliced garlic.
- Slowly heat the Reisling in the pot until small bubbles form.
- Add the cheese, a handful at a time, until the cheese melts, stirring well after each addition.
- Keep mixing until the mixture bubbles slightly.
- Add the kirsch and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and keep warm on a table warmer while eating.