Sometimes the simplest dishes are the best. And when they are also fast and delicious, they are even better. Thus is the case with these tangy black beans. And while I love the flavor and texture of black beans when I have soaked, cooked and rehydrated them myself, sometimes using canned ones is a life saver. You know; when you have carefully planned out the protein and vegetable portion of your dinner yet need to add something else to the plate. Well on those nights I turn to my stash of canned black beans and make this dish. It is easy, tasty and the entire family digs right in.
SPICY BLACK BEANS
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 14 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lime
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized skillet set over medium-high heat.
- When the oil shimmers, add the garlic and shallot and saute until lightly golden and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the drained black beans to the skillet then stir in the cumin, salt and pepper.
- Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally but taking care not to crush the beans.
- Off the heat, squeeze the lime juice over the beans and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.