It’s Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing I want to do is cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
I love this dish. It can be the ultimate leftover meal–if as I do, you have pre-cooked ham and a stash of pre-made crepes sitting in your fridge or freezer–or you can make it completely from scratch. Made with leftovers it is the ideal “Fast Friday” dinner; not so much if you make all of the components from scratch at dinner time, but it is delicious just the same.
I love homemade crepes and when I make them, I usually make a double batch then stash the extra in the freezer for quick meals (like this one). If your crepes are frozen, simply let them defrost in the refrigerator during the day and then they will be ready for assembly once dinner time rolls around. And the ham? My family is a fan of spiral cut hams but even the smallest ones out there produce a lot of meat for a family of three. My solution is to enjoy a meal or two with the meat then cut it off the bone and freeze it for later use. Again, it is perfect for this meal.
To make this extra special, and decadent, top with a spoonful of hollandaise sauce. Now that is good.
HAM, CHEESE & ASPARAGUS STUFFED CREPES
1 bunch asparagus
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
16 slices pre-cooked ham
8 thin slices Gruyere cheese
- Trim the asparagus and steam until just tender crisp. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large non-stick skillet. Once the butter has melted, add the ham and saute until warmed through. Remove the ham from the skillet but do not clean it.
To assemble the crepes:
- Lay one crepe on a flat surface and place a slice of cheese in its center.
- Top with two slices of ham and then three or four spears of asparagus.
- Fold the bottom quarter of the crepe up towards the center then fold the sides in. You want to form an envelope with its top kept open.
- Move the filled crepe to a plate and place seam side down.
- Repeat with the remaining crepes and filling.
To cook the crepes:
- Melt the remaining butter in the skillet.
- Working in two batches, place the crepes seam side down in the melted butter and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully turn the crepes over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.