I love risotto. Whether served as an entree or a side dish I think it is the perfect comfort food. It is also wonderfully versatile; I’d be hard pressed to think of an ingredient that can’t be added into the rice.
I love this combination of butternut squash and portobello mushrooms. Because the vegetables are roasted ahead of time they are an earthy and perfectly tender compliment to the rice. The fontina cheese adds additional subtle flavor and creaminess to the dish. I usually eat this risotto as an entree but it is equally good served alongside grilled steak. Yum.
ROASTED MUSHROOM & BUTTERNUT SQUASH RISOTTO
2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 cup baby portobello mushrooms, quartered
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 shallot, minced
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
3/4 cup dry white wine
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup finely grated Fontina cheese
Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Evenly distribute the squash and mushrooms on the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat the broth in a large saucepan until it simmers. Reduce the temperature and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots to the butter and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the shallots and stir to coat with the butter.
- Stir in the white wine and bring to a boil.
- Once the wine is almost evaporated begin adding the broth, one ladleful at a time. Stirring regularly, but not constantly cook the rice until the liquid is mostly evaporated before adding in more broth.
- Repeat the process until the rice is creamy and al dente. You may not need to use all of the broth.
- Add the roasted squash and mushrooms to the rice and fold to combine.
- Remove the rice from the heat and stir in the grated cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Serves: 4 as an entree or 6 as a side dish