Side dishes have never been my forte; I have a tendency to focus on the main dish and the dessert leaving the accompaniments to be an after thought to the meal. But one of my cooking resolutions for 2015 is to change all of that. After all, a simple protein dish can be dressed up when accompanied by a more complex and interesting side dish.
And because we are still in the heart of winter, this is the season for comfort food. Here in Belgium the days are still short and dark and the weather is almost always damp leaving me craving rich foods that both satisfy and warm me up. This creamy corn casserole, adapted from Saveur Magazine, fits the bill to a tee. It is rich, creamy and oh so good.
I baked it in a single casserole dish and served it family style at the table but if you wanted to make the dish a bit more formal, bake it in individual ramekin dishes. Serve it alongside grilled rib eye steaks or tangy bar-b-que chicken and you will have a dinner that is flavorful and satisfying to the whole family.
CHEESY CORN CASSEROLE
4 ounces pancetta, diced
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
4 ounces cream cheese
1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 15.2 ounce can whole kernel corn
1 15.2 ounce can creamed corn
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cook the pancetta in a large saucepan set over medium heat until it is crisp and brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add the butter and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour and stirring constantly, cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the cream cheese, grated cheddar cheese and paprika. Stir and cook until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the corn.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a 3 quart casserole dish and bake until the top is browned and bubbling, about 40 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.