It is Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing you want to do to cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
These gorgonzola stuffed steaks only appear complicated. In reality they can be put together in minutes so you can have dinner on the table in minutes. They are just as good for a quick Friday night meal as they are for a more formal dinner. If you want to get really fancy and mimic a real American steak house, you can top them with sautéed mushrooms. I like to serve these with baked potatoes and a green veggie. Yum!
GORGONZOLA STUFFED STRIP STEAKS
4 New York Strip Steaks, trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat a grill to high heat.
- Carefully cut a large slit in the side of each steak to form a pocket. Be careful to not cut all the way through the steaks. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a small sauce pan set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and stirring occasionally, saute until soft and translucent.
- When then onions are soft, stir in the mascarpone and gorgonzola cheeses and the Tabasco sauce. Heat until melted.
- Sprinkle both sides of the steaks with salt and pepper. Carefully spoon the cheese mixture into the pocket of each steak. Do not overfill. You may have extra cheese sauce.
- Secure each pocket with two or three toothpicks to help prevent the cheese from seeping out. (Some will melt out while cooking but that is OK).
- Carefully place the steaks on the preheated grill and cook 7-8 minutes per side or until done to your liking.
- Remove from the grill and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes. Remove the toothpicks before serving.
Yield: 4 servings