It’s Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing I want to do is cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
Here is a quick and satisfying dinner option that I adapted from a Cuisine at Home recipe. The combination of sweet Italian sausage and chicken breast dusted with oregano is simple yet flavorful. What makes this dish special though is the salad; orange sections and grape tomatoes make for a refreshing and juicy contrast for the meat. The salad comes together quickly while the meats are cooking so don’t skip them. To complete the meal I serve this alongside brown rice; put a pot of it on to cook before you start the meat and everything will be ready to serve at the same time.
OREGANO CHICKEN & SAUSAGE w/ ORANGE-TOMATO SALAD
For the chicken:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, cut into bite sized pieces
Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the chicken and sausage with the oregano, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Add the meat to the pan, cover and saute, stirring occasionally, until the internal temperature of the meat is 165 degrees. This should take a total of 8-10 minutes.
- Off the heat and squeeze the lemon juice over the meat.
While the meat is cooking, make the salad.
For the salad:
2 seedless oranges, pith removed, sectioned and cut in half
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 shallot, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Serve alongside the chicken and sausages.