It’s Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing I want to do is cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
This soup from the Yankee Kitchen Ninja has become a staple in my family. It reminds me of the giant noodle bowls I used to live off of in graduate school when money was tight, time was limited and I always seemed to be hungry. There was a noodle shop in the basement of the student union that served the best bowls of noodles and broth. The servings were huge and you could add in whatever ingredients you liked. Because of the variety of options you could eat a noodle bowl every day during the week and it never got boring. (Not that I did or anything………..).
This soup is fast, flavorful and incredibly versatile. I prefer to use chicken broth but if I only have beef on hand that works too. Rice noodles are good but any type of pasta works; spinach, mustard greens or chard can be substituted for the kale. So use whatever you have on hand. And best of all, the soup is fast and easy. What more can you ask for?
RICE NOODLE BOWLS w/ SAUSAGE & KALE
1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 of a large bunch of kale, coarsely chopped
5 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon fish sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces rice noodles
- Combine the sausage, ginger and cumin in a large bowl making sure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot and add the sausage mixture, stirring to break up the chunks until cooked through .
- Add the chicken broth to the pot and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the kale, green onions, soy sauce and fish sauce and cook until the greens are just tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the broth mixture simmers, cook the rice noodles according to package directions.
- Drain and add the rice noodles to the soup pot. Stir well then serve.