This recipe is a family favorite and one my husband grew up eating. It is so simple and flavorful that it has become one of my go-to grilled chicken recipes. The marinade is quite simple–yogurt and lemon juice with a touch of spice and freshly ground ginger. Don’t substitute dried ginger because the results simply won’t be the same. And do make sure you allow plenty of time for the chicken to marinade–the longer it sits in its yogurt bath the better. I often make up a batch of marinade for the chicken the night before I want to serve it and let it sit overnight and all day. The results are amazing. And while the chicken is good right off the grill, it tastes just as yummy cold the next day. Enjoy!
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 small onion, grated
3 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger root
3 pounds chicken
- Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, onion, garlic, spices and ginger in a large non-reactive container or large ziploc bag.
- Add the chicken ensuring that it is coated with the marinade and allow to sit for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Coat a grill with non-stick cooking spray and preheat it to medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook, turning ever 5-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear when pierced with a knife, about 15 to 20 minutes. Cooking times will vary depending upon the heat of the grill and the cut of the chicken. Baste with additional marinade if desired.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the grill and serve immediately.