It’s Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing I want to do is cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
Spring is upon us and chances are asparagus is popping up at your local farmer’s markets. Nothing says spring to me like those tender bright green spears. I love to eat it steamed with just a dash of salt and I have been known to eat the tenderest of spears raw. But if you are looking for a dish to add your asparagus to, try this super easy stir fry adapted from Cooking Light. It is fast and flavorful and sure to please. Serve it over brown rice and you will have a complete dinner on the table in no time.
STEAK & ASPARAGUS STIR FRY
1/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon grated fresh garlic
1 teaspoon corn starch
5 teaspoons canola oil, divided
12 ounces boneless sirloin or other lean steak, cut into 1/4 inch strips
12 ounces fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 green onions, chopped
- Combine the first six ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Heat a large wok over high heat. Add 3 teaspoons of the oil to the wok and swirl to coat.
- Add the beef and stir fry until browned by not cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Place the beef on a platter and discard any liquid that remains in the wok.
- Return the wok to high heat and add the remaining oil and swirl to coat.
- Add the asparagus and bell pepper and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the crushed red pepper and green onions and stir fry for an additional 30 seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high. Add the stock mixture and cook for 3 minutes or until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Return the beef and any accumulated juices to the pan and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.