Fresh local asparagus is everywhere this time of year and it seems like rarely does a meal go by where I don’t serve some version of this green vegetable. And as much as I love it as an addition to other dishes, sometimes the simplest form of the vegetable is the best. Hence this fast and easy lemon roasted version from Williams Sonoma. The asparagus roasts in a matter of minutes and is the perfect accompaniment to grilled meats and fish. Of course, I’ve also been known to eat a plate of it as a meal all by itself.
LEMON ROASTED ASPARAGUS
2 pounds asparagus, tough ends trimmed
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
Zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon salt
1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, cut into slices and seeded
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Arrange the asparagus on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, garlic and lemon zest.
- Brush the asparagus evenly with the oil, turning the spears to coat well, and season with the salt and pepper. Arrange the lemon slices around the asparagus.
- Roast until the asparagus is tender and just turning golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the asparagus to a warmed serving platter and drizzle with the pan juices.